5.15.2009

Love is in the air.

On my way to work yesterday morning I passed Central Technical School at Bathurst and Harbord. The big, sturdy, medievalesque high school has got to be among my favorite downtown landmarks. For one, it was the primary setting for the movie Class of 1984, which incase you haven't seen it, is a perfect 1980's punk gang flick. It features a live performance by Hamilton's Teenage Head and plenty of ridiculous melodramatic violence. Two, the building is rumored to have derelict underground tunnels, cool right? According to alumni one was used as an artillery range in World War 1. Lastly, my third and final fancy for Central Tech is the students that dominate my neighborhood. The constant exposure to teen shenanigans right outside my window during lunch, before and after class. The kids are pretty hilarious and in a small way, it kind of keeps me young. Incidentally, as I walked by the school yesterday and watched as two young lovers no more than 16, gaze into each others eyes, totally engrossed and hopeless, I was overwhelmed by memories of spring flings past. Especially in Canada, after a long winter, spring is a special time of year. Truly, love is in the air Toronto, and some of you may have already caught the bug. 

So for those of you looking to get romantic this season, we recommend Hernando's Hideaway. A quaint little tex-mex basement restaurant just south of Wellesley and Yonge. We had the california salad, the chicken chimichangas and a couple of margaritas. The bill was reasonable, the food amazing and the atmosphere casual with a touch of gimmicky fun. Furthermore (and this is a big one) the lighting is perfect for date dining. Here's a look at what we ordered.

The entrance sign boasts "The Best Margaritas In Town"... I might even agree with them.

Although we didn't have a chance to test them, we're guessing the fajitas for two would be an appropriate order.

1 comment: