3.12.2009

Dust Jackets: Nas "Illmatic"


Nanaimo BC's top elevator musician and mixtape addict, Colin Gillespie continues to listen to music. This time, he dips his toe in the river of hip-hop and gets wet.

Issue #2: Nas "Illmatic"
Ok. So, among Miss Elizabeth’s Ghostfaces, rap music runs rampant and unchecked. Fine. I can deal. Unfortunately, they’ve recently discovered that I still haven’t heard the East Coast Hip-Hop “masterpiece”, Nas’ debut album, Illmatic. After being subjected to derision, humiliation and Indian burns, I was then assigned to immediately listen to the album, and write a first-time, virginal review on it in one uninterrupted sitting. I now descend into the abyss while sounding as white as TV on the Radio…

Track #1 “The Genesis”:
Train sounds. Vocal samples. I can dig. Sounds like an argument in a crack den right now. Mothers are being brought up. I really hope someone takes that goddamn Hennessy soon. Things are gonna get real.

Track #2 “N.Y. State of Mind”:
Due to my tiny versing in rap, all backing tracks sound like DJ Shadow. Nas’ flow is pretty laid back, and he sounds like he’s not breathing between lines. I guess this track sort of sets the scene for the rest of Illmatic, being all like “my streets rougher than your street”. And you’re right, Nas, I am pretty sure your street was a lot tougher than Hillside Avenue, Nanaimo, B.C.

Track #3 “Life’s A Bitch”
Turns out it was AZ who wanted that Hennessey. Again, with my handful of rap albums, I am reminded by Biggie’s “Juicy”. Man, I am such white, suburban dish soap. I am slowly getting into it though. Just in time for the cornet-led refrain!

Track #4 “The Word Is Yours”
Did he just say “wipe the sweat off my balls?” I guess a clean scrote is the first step to carpe diem. Either this song is about making the most out of the resources and skills you are given in an unforgiving environment, or avoiding sweat rash (UPDATE: on second glance, the line is “Wipe the sweat off my dome”. Fuck). All phallus references aside though, Illmatic is turning pretty solid so far. I totally bet Nas is the Botch of hip hop. Illmatic=We Are The Romans for reals.

Track #5 “Halftime”
The four-on-the-floor bassline makes me wish I had a car. So do the sleigh bells. I am starting to see why Nas’ flow is so appealing. “You couldn’t catch me in the streets without a ton of reefer/That’s like Malcolm X catching the jungle fever.” Ahoy, Wikipedia! I like this Nas better than the Bill O’Reilly-arguing Nas of today. WOOO IT’S HALFTIME.

Track #6 “Memory Lane”
You know what I’m saying? I totally wish my nickname was the Brown Wizard. Nas shows off how he can rap at more than one tempo, and also to a Hammond Organ. It’s kind of got an echoey vibe to it, like Lee Perry’s dub production. Illmatic is developing more as a full album rather than a set of singles, which is what I’m into. Also, if I wasn’t into it, Steph would probably brass-knuck me.

Track #7 “One Love”
Even with what sounds like a thumb-piano backing track, Nas sounds fucking tough. I’m still impressed that Nas’ hasn’t regressed into the obligatory hip-hop ballad yet. Man, that shit tires me out. I guess Nas is playing a mentor figure in this one. He would be awesome in a community centre, telling kids to stay away from drugs and give abstinence a serious try this time. I could see that. Oh, and Q-Tip kind of sounds like a Keebler Elf.

Track #8 “One Time 4 Your Mind”
Nas reminds me that I am still listening to Illmatic, sounding more and more like a repeated safety announcement. This track really lays back. Kind of like getting messed up on cough syrup while actually having a cold. Nas’ rhymes like he is remembering his lines a split second before he spits them. Not bad.

Track #9 “Represent”
Yeah, this is pretty strong. I kind of dig how there is a minimal amount of guest rappers, because nothing pisses me off more than reading “featuring” followed by a list of exponentially idiotic nicknames. It’s Nas’ album pretty much, and why get someone to take up a verse when Nas obviously has superior rhymes to spare? OH WAIT. Now he is just shouting out ridiculous monikers. Well fuck me. “Can’t forget Primo or Drawers or Sean Penn or Big Oogie!”

Track #10 “It Ain’t Hard To Tell”
Illmatic ends with Nas rhyming over acid-jazz rave. Kind of like if Trainspotting’s final scene was set in the Burroughs. I am actually bobbing my head at this point, so I guess it’s a job well done, Nas. Congratulations, you’ve earned the approval of a paunchy, red-headed, suburban, ambient-music fan. Sweet, sweet vindication.

I was four years old when Illmatic dropped, so around then I was listening to whatever the fuck Thomas the Tank Engine was spittin’. But bestowed on me with a decade and a half more wisdom, I can get into this album. I mean, if I wasn’t raised in nice neighbourhood, or by both parents, or if I had more problems than saving my allowance to buy Pokemon cards, it would probably hit deeper. But, I can still appreciate it (and secretely feel tougher) from a pedestrian point of view, can’t I?

1 comment:

  1. Well done young Colin. Guess I won't have to brass knuck you.

    ReplyDelete